Saturday, August 09, 2014

Once Upon a Time in CHIJMES


Night life! This is not my thing and I’ve never been in a bar before except when I got invited by a childhood friend to watch a Filipino live band at Victoria St., a place where white people hang out, and they call it CHIJMES.

Being a first-timer in a bar made me feel awkward and at the same time curious of what is there inside this dark room filled with colorful lights and people standing next to each other, each enjoying their drinks… Actually, I had zero idea of where we were going that night, after my friend asked me to wear her pair of wicked Charles & Keith wedges [by the way, I’m a flip flop and sneaker gal]. When we arrived at our destination, I didn’t even bother to check how the building looks like outside, and since it was dark, all that stood up in front of my eyes were bright lights… then there were white people, mostly in their 30s to 60s. As we entered the bar, we headed to the counter to order drinks [so then I got my first tequila, yay!].

The live band was playing and people started to muster at the center of the room, each with their own unique moves. Yes, it was a bit noisy and I guess I was the only one that’s quiet [though I giggled at times cause of an elderly couple's amusing dance moves] but I enjoyed watching them, and no there were no explicit moves as I thought is all there is in a bar. May be because these people were professionals – I may have concluded it this way since I figured out that these Caucasian men and women were there in Singapore for their jobs and nothing else. A few Asians seemed to be tourists, and they were well-behaved. So, for an old school like me, I was thankful that my first bar encounter wasn’t a rot, and I called it a night.


Recommended place for a first class night life experience.


Google Maps Generator by RegioHelden